Saturday, March 2, 2013

Red Sock Yarns Lives!

I was disconsolate last September when I scoured Fish Creek and couldn't find Red Sock Yarns.  They weren't in their original store in the Top of the Hill shops and they weren't in their next location behind Fred & Co. either.  The ladies in the beauty shop next door told me that they'd gone out of business.  It made me sad.  I threw away my punch card.  When I talked to my friend KS about us having coffee yesterday she told me that she's started knitting and that Red Sock Yarns is reborn.  Yay.  So we went there.  It's in a tiny little house of a shop next to the Summer Kitchen and across the road from the Red Barn on the north end of Ephriam.  I bought yarn.  (of course I did)


I picked up this sparkly skein of yarn--and couldn't put it down.  It's Kraemer Sterling Silk & Silver, superwash merina, silk, nylon, and STERLING SILVER.  Yes, children, there is a thread of silver in this and I am not putting this yarn into shoes.  NOT.  There're over 400 yards that will make a lovely little shawl, oh yeah.

I also picked up just one skein of Kraemer Perfection, which is a slightly woolier version of Plymouth Encore or Lion Brand Wool Ease, 70/30 instead of 80/20 or 75/25.  Since I enjoy knitting with the Encore and Wool Ease I thought I'd take the Perfection for a test knit.  She didn't have any variegated (we all know I'm a variegated whore) so I settled for this heathered red called Valentine.  It's nice and soft.



On my way through Sturgeon Bay I stopped at Spin.  Well, I had to, didn't I?  I fondled all the goodies all through the store and found a very interesting FREE pattern there that hurried right onto my queue when I got home, but as usual I only bought out of the 40% off bins in the back corner.

I snatched up these 2 skeins of Noro Silk Garden Lite.  I've never used Noro despite all the patterns (that I admire) out there that use it so this is an inexpensive way for me to dip my toes into the Noro stream without damaging my wallet too badly.


I'm a big fan of Gedifra Fiorista yarn for knitting narrow scarves so I pounced on these.  They're Fiorista Fino, the DK version of it, and they're the same color and dye lot.  Yes, yes they are despite looking like opposites.  It doesn't show on the photo but they've got their opposite colors in the centers, so I'm planning to knit two rows from one skein then two rows from the other and make a bias scarf that goes from light to dark.  It'll be awesome, and as it happens I finished my dishcloth last night so I've got leave to cast on something else.  This will be it.  It'll be fast.  I'm excited.  Also I'm a dork.  (but then we knew that didn't we?)

No comments: