Saturday, January 19, 2013

I Cheated



Remember how I said I wasn't going to cast on anything until I had that last afghan block done?  Well, I kind of cheated.  See, DS & DIL1 asked at Christmastime if I'd crochet them some net scrubbies like the ones Mom used to make.  They took the remaining few of them when she died and have evidently scrubbed their way through them.  I didn't seem to have Mom's pattern so I searched Ravelry and found one that I printed off and tried.  I sucked at it.  I suspect that it's because I cut the netting too narrow so I will try again AND I emailed DD to ask if she has Mom's pattern, but I found a pattern for a scrubbie made with one strand of dishcloth cotton and one thin strip of netting.  So I grabbed a ball of yarn, some needles, and cut some of the netting Mom had into strips and took it to work with me on Thursday.  I learned quickly that netting is not easy to tension and where it slides (heh, more like scrapes) over your skin it hurts, but I persevered and finished one.  I forgot to crochet a hanging loop before I cut my yarn but I carefully made one out of the tail.  I like it.  I'm going to leave it over at DS & DIL1's today so they can test it out.  Thursday night after supper I sat at the table, tying the strips of netting together and then winding the loong strips onto cardboard tubes.  I discovered that it's easier to leave the yarn in a bag and put the netting in an old oatmeal box so that they only tangle and twist at the ends and not all togehter in the bag.  Then I made a scrubbie for me yesterday.  I can't decide if I want to weave in the knot tails, cut them off, or just leave them poking out.  What to do?




I've been working on the afghan block too, really I have.  I finished the third miter last night at knitting (I took the picture yesterday morning when there were only 2 miters done) and my first order of business today (after my shower) is to pick up stitches for the last one of the square so by the end of the day I'll be working on the first log cabin strip.  Really, this is going well, and quickly.  It's amazing how fast you can get something made when you focus on just one thing at a time.  Amazing.

No comments: