Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mexican Shellflowers & Farmer's Market Loot

According to the package label which I efficiently cut off the bag and taped into my garden notebook, these flowers are Mexican Shellflowers or Tigridia (no further Latin name listed). They grow 18-24" and bloom all summer in full sun. These are planted on the south side of the house in front of the brick facade and stay happily in the ground year round. Away from the radiant heating of the bricks they might need to be dug up in fall like gladiolus.









I went to the Farmer's Market this morning and scored big for my $20. I got beets to roast, some little
onions to put with them, a pound of Crimini mushrooms, a "grab bag" of tomatoes and a container of fresh mozzarella for salads. The empty paper boat held my breakfast of 3/$2 crab rangoons. They're really why I get up early and go down there. I came home with $.45 in my pocket, not a bad shopping trip.

No comments: