Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Askew


I had a brainstorm last Friday night when I was knitting on the Bandwagon Block #3 so I followed my instincts and made the fourth mitered square part of the cross with flipped colors. I considered doing one of each color that way but think I'm only doing one of the twelve--and it's this one. I'll be doing the background in the creamy wool as dictated in the pattern. I like it.




I've been plugging away at the latest ballband warshrag that lives in the pocket of my car door while waiting for my chiro appointments. I like the randomness of it.






We've got 2 pairs of orioles visiting our feeders! They chase the house finches away from the jelly and jump around in the apple tree, the males chasing the females, of course. It is spring, after all. They're so bright and orange, we love watching them.



Durwood saw the first hummingbird at the nectar yesterday and I saw one today at lunch.










While making my lunch I glanced out to see if any orioles were here and saw a blue bird at the feeder in back. I hurried to look it up and discovered that it's an Indigo Bunting. I hope it comes back.







I'd like to spend the rest of the month sitting knitting and watching for birds. It would be very relaxing. I'd probably be bored to tears after a day or two but I'd like to try. Maybe.

Here's a picture of the feast David made me for Mother's Day. Mmm, it was delicious! In the iron skillet is a frittata like dish of eggs, cheese, bacon, and hash browns we call Texas Breakfast, then toasted Italian sesame bread, and a fruit cup of strawberries and mango. He can come over and fix me breakfast any day!




Durwood went to Woodman's while I was at the chiro to get small, cheaper oranges for the orioles and happened to be there when they were putting out some "reduced for quick sale" fruit.
He bought a few apricots in a bag for 79 cents. Just a few. They're still pretty hard so we've got them in a big bowl to ripen a few days. Mm, once they're ripe they'll be pretty darned tasty on the pound cake he made the other day.

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your pictures of the birds in your backyard are so wonderful. You're a really good photographer!!! I've tried to get a picture of a cardinal in our birdfeeder and can't seem to make it happen. Love seeing yours!