Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Urge to Make Something Useless

Sometimes it just comes over me and I have to veer off into the land of "what are you going to do with that?!?"

Friday afternoon while taking a break from cleaning the house and tidying my writing space, I was gripped by the need to knit/crochet something that had no real purpose except to be. While I was cutting vegetables and chicken for our supper stir fry, my mind raced as I cast about for what I could make. It was while eating the delicious outcome of my knife work that inspiration struck. I could make an Errol, the Weasley's owl. I knew I had a skein of dark gray mohair and a skein of silver worsted that'd be perfect together, I even found some yellow for the beak and orange for the feet. Scurrying around assembling the pattern, needles, and yarns made me a bit late for Friday Night Knitting but I came home with a nice owl bottom. I did decide to knit it in the round instead of flat and I added a bit of black yarn to start so the lower end of the body will be darker, which means I've got a big hole to sew closed. Next time (when I make a Pigwidgeon) I'll start with fewer stitches.




I've gotten to the heel flap of the Reef socks. I'm really liking this pattern and the yarn is a constant entertainment seeing how the colors appear.









Another Sudoku square and three-quarters got made at work.








Most of my knitting time was taken up with the beginning of 2009's stealth knitting. You only get to see the yarn, not the results. I promise to be better at taking pictures of the finished projects this time.

No comments: