Sunday, January 6, 2008

Socking Fever

But I must confess it's a self-inflicted case. There I was minding my own business happily knitting fingerless and regular mitts when I asked DD to show me how to knit a sock before she went back to Kentucky last weekend. I've been reading the Yarn Harlot's blog and books and am fascinated by how quickly she turns out socks. When I read through the Harlot's blog archives I was boggled by all the first socks people show her and the sheer volume of socks she cranks out. I cast on a sock in Wool-Ease just for practice, to play with, not for serious sock making. I intended to find some cotton to knit into dishcloths and maybe some other something to knit in cotton to take to Bonaire for a month. I mean, who wants to knit wool while they're sitting on a Caribbean island? Not me. Well, there's cotton and acrylic and polyester yarn, and it's worsted weight and you can make socks out of it. Did you know that? I found Berroco's Love it Colors and had to buy the colorway called Monday Monday, soft and variegated. Three balls so I'll have enough (I have big feet). Then I was looking around to see what other sock yarn was on the shelves and found Filatura di Crosa's Maxime print in the festively named #5048. Yummy colors, but it's merino and DK weight so it's staying home and will have to wait. I've been knitting sock when I should have been finishing packing so I can calm down and be ready to leave without having a nervous breakdown. But see how pretty? The packing's nearly done and our flight isn't until 6:15 PM tomorrow. I can make it.

2 comments:

Ann said...

See, I told you it wasn't that scary! That Filatura di Crosa yarn is beautiful. I can't wait to see all of your many socks! Have fun with tropical knitting! (And no nervous breakdowns allowed. Just focus on the fun to come!)
Love,
Ann

Barbara said...

I turned the heel! I added a knit row rather than tink the first post heel turning row because I missed picking up a couple sts, but it looks like a real sock. Pix from Bonaire. Only dishcloth knitting on the plane(s). I decided to postpone my nervous breakdown until another time. Yay, happy pill!