Sunday, December 19, 2010

So Much Fun


You know, when your kids grow up and move away you think you're done teaching them stuff. Not so. Yesterday I got to show DS how to knit in the round with Double Point Needles (DPNs). Teaching someone how to do something makes you stop and think about how you make the motions and how you figure out the muddle of needles and yarn that you've just assembled with your cast-on. Naturally the pattern he chose to start with is a top-down hat so he's beginning with 8 stitches on 4 needles and that's a challenge. Luckily I had a book that I bought when I was learning to knit in the round that I could lend him. I did have him practice on yarn other than the stuff he hopes to make the hat from because I was certain he'd have to rip and restart at least once.


While he was learning I cast on a worsted sock since now's the time I
wear thick socks and boots to work. I think it looks like a Dreamsicle, don't you?





I braved the backyard drifts for the first time since the blizzard to fill the feeders. It was an adventure.

1 comment:

Zoe Muzak said...

Looks like you need some snowshoes!