Friday, August 3, 2007

WIPs & Fish


This has been a busy week, yarn-wise. I fished at every opportunity, finishing 6 more for my school. I know it only looks like 5 but there's a dark red one between the mango and pink ones. Notice the blue and green fish. It's made with Red Heart Strata in Splash. I was looking for a bluish turquoise to kind of brighten up my mix and found this not really self-striping yarn, more like self-patterning yarn. I like the color, dislike the texture, but, hey, it was cheap. I do like the color--a lot.

On to the WIPs. I am actually caught up with the Dishcloth KAL for once. I think I know what it is, but I'm not going to say in case I'm wrong. Yeah, yeah, I know that's a cop out, but I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone knitting along. I consider I'm being selfless, not a chicken.




And last, but certainly not least, I started my first crocheted sweater. I ordered Tuscan Tan Wolina, a wool & linen blend, from
Herrschners on my daughter's advice (thanks, Ann) and finally finished the foundation row of 91 dc in a chain. Ninety-one! Well, we all know I'm no sylph, but it seemed like a lot. I will concede that the sweater fit is listed as oversize. (I feel a bit better now.) The ribbing is made by doing alternating front post double crochet and back post double crochet, something I had never done or seen done, but I found some excellent instructions on Crochet Me and gave it a shot. Easy as pie. I think I've got two more rows of ribbing to go before I start on the back of the sweater body. Should be fun. More later!

2 comments:

Ann said...

Mom,
Way to go on the fish and the sweater! I think you have seen that ribbing before--I used it on the washcloth for Abby that snapped my plastic hook! Although it was obscured by the netting. Your sweater is going to be fabulous.

I'll call Herrschners in a few minutes. I was going to be responsible and pass, but I just don't think I can resist!

Talk to you tomorrow!

Love,
Ann

Barbara said...

Actually, I never saw the stuff you made for Abby. It came right before the rummage sale and everyone was crazy! From then until the moment they drove away.

Well, now that the cost of Wolina has dropped even more, you'd be foolish to pass. When will you ever get such quality yarn for so little again? It even feels better to work with than less expensive yarn. Although nothing feels better than the silk. The colors alone make that one a joy to work.

Love, Mom